Financial Aid Information

Post-secondary or higher education can be expensive, but there are many resources to assist your future education expenses. Financial Aid usually comes different types of assistance and available to students attending all kinds of post-secondary programs (i.e. community colleges, technical colleges, public and private universities, etc.).

  • Scholarships - gift aid that is given based on talent or achievement; can be need-based and does not need to be repaid. For more on how to pay for school, visit the State of Washington's Student Achievement Council's website.
  • Grants - gift aid that is given to a student based on need. Does not have to be repaid.
  • Loans - debt that must be repaid, but usually after graduation. Interest is often subsidized.
  • Work-study - work during your education (i.e.campus tutoring, working in the campus cafeteria, technology center, fitness center, bookstore or library). Some jobs are based on your skills or academic program. The principle of work-study is that students are guaranteed a part-time job through the college. Students are limited to the number of hours they can work each academic year. Federal Work Study (See the FWS website), Washington State Work Study (See the WA Student Achievement Council's website) and College Work Study programs are available.


Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) Program

The FSEOG Program provides need-based grants to low-income undergraduate students to promote access to postsecondary education.

The State Need Grant (SNG) program

Helps the state’s lowest-income undergraduate students pursue degrees, hone skills, or retrain for new careers. Students can use the grants at eligible institutions (public two- and four-year colleges and universities, and many accredited independent colleges, universities, and career schools) in Washington.

The Federal Pell Grant Program

Provides need-based grants to low-income undergraduate and certain post-baccalaureate students to promote access to post-secondary education.

Student Loans

Sallie Mae is the nation's leading provider of student loans, helping millions of Americans achieve their dream of a higher education.

Federal Stafford Loans are federal student loans made available to college and university students to supplement personal and family resources, scholarships, grants, and work-study. Nearly all students are eligible to receive Stafford loans regardless of credit. Stafford loans may be subsidized by the U.S. Government or unsubsidized depending on the student's financial need.

The Federal Perkins Loan Program provides low-interest loans to help needy students finance the costs of post-secondary education.

Federal Parent PLUS Loans enable parents with good credit histories to borrow money with which to pay the education expenses of their children. Each child must be a dependent undergraduate student enrolled at least half time in an approved college or university.

Next Student: The process of finding money for college may seem like a daunting task with a never-ending pile of paperwork. But it doesn't have to be that way. At NextStudent, we believe that getting an education is the best investment you can make, and we’re dedicated to helping you pursue your education dreams by making college funding as easy as possible.

More scholarship information is available online at the KHS Scholarship Page.

FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid - Make Sure you fill out the FAFSA! To access the forms and to submit online every year after October 1st, go to

  • Free Help on the FAFSA: Olympic College helps students complete the FAFSA. Contact the Education Opportunity Center - Poulsbo campus (360-475-7166).
  • College Bound Scholars! For those enrolled in the College Bound Scholarship program, make sure you fill out your FAFSA senior year to be eligible for this scholarship upon graduation.

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) - Interstate exchange program for participating states in the western US. The program allows out-of-state students to pay 1.5 X in-state tuition (i.e. WA state resident attending school in Montana will pay 1.5 times the in-state tuition that a Montana resident would pay).

Check out this website to learn more about the different types of financial aid available to students: To avoid common financial aid scams read this website:

400+ colleges and scholarship programs use the CSS/Financial Aid Profile to determine need-based financial aid. Check out more at